• Titles may be checked out by APeX members in good standing at any APeX event. A title may be requested by emailing the librarian and arranging details for pickup at an APeX event.
• A title that is still in publication (IE available from a major retailer such as Stockroom or Amazon) may be renewed by email or in person to the librarian or assistant before the same event the next month. For example, a book checked out at the January Meet and Greet must be returned or renewed at or before the February Meet and Greet. These books may be renewed twice, either in person or via email to the librarian, for a total loan period of not longer than approximately 3 months, IE from the January Meet and Greet to the April Meet and Greet.
• A title that is no longer in publication must be checked back into the library the same event the next month. For example, a title checked out at the January Meet and Greet must be returned at the February Meet and Greet. If no other APeX members have requested the materials, the librarian or their assistant may immediately re-issue the title to the same person without first returning it to the librarian.
• A title that is in non-circulating status may only be used at APeX events or under supervision of the APeX librarian or assistant. These uses may be scheduled at the librarian’s discretion and availability.
• Titles checked out at special events such as Capital Ball shall have their date tied to the next regularly scheduled APeX event (IE for 2013 Capital Ball the checkout date for this policy would be based around the April Sunday Munch).
• A member in good standing may only have two titles checked out at any time.
Fines and Surcharges:
• Titles that are not returned after one additional event (for example, a title checked out at the January meet and greet and not returned after the February Meet and Greet ) shall incur a $1 fine.
• Titles that are not returned after two additional events (for example, a title checked out at the January meet and greet and not returned after the March Meet and Greet) shall incur an additional $4 fine. The Librarian shall notify the APeX member of the replacement cost of the book, and that they shall no longer be considered a member in good standing if the title or its replacement value is not received by the same event the following month.
• Titles that are not returned after three additional events (for example, a title checked out at the January Meet and Greet and not returned after the April Meet and Greet) shall incur an additional fine equal to the replacement cost of the title. The BoD shall notify the APeX member of the replac ement cost of the book, and that they will no longer be considered a member in good standing until the title or its replacement value is received.
• A member’s right to check out titles from TLC shall be suspended if they owe fines, replacement costs, or surcharges for longer than 60 days, with notice given at both 30 and 60 days. Outstanding fines owed to the library shall be added as a surcharge when a renewal membership is purchased. Members who owe fines and surcharges to the library shall be reminded on November 1 of each year.
• The replacement value of a title shall be considered to be the totality of the cost to replace a title, including shipping and handling.
• If an out of date version of a title is lost and that version is no longer available, the replacement cost shall be the cost of the newer version plus a 25% surcharge. This surcharge may be combined with other surcharges.
• If a signed copy of a title is lost, the replacement cost shall be the cost of the same title plus a 50% surcharge. This surcharge may be combined with other surcharges.
• A title that is out of print shall have a value assigned to it by the Librarian equal to the cost to either (A) bring book[s] of a similar nature to the library or (B) to procure the book from a third-party vendor, such as eBay or Alibri s. The Librarian shall inform a member in writing upon request of the replacement value equivalent of any title they may wish to check out.
Records Keeping & Retention
The librarian shall keep electronic and/or written record of the following:
• scene name
• member number
• checked out title(s)
• date & place (event) of borrowing
• fines, fees, and titles and surcharges owed
for each individual who has checked out titles from the library. These records shall be viewable only by the librarian, assistant, and in case of titles not returned or fines incurred, the membership coordinator and APeX BoD. These records shall be purged within 30 days of a title is returned and any applicable fines & fees paid. The librarian shall not keep records of borrowers’ activity beyond what is necessary to track the current borrower of checked out titles and to ensure their safe and timely return to the library and enforcement of this policy.
Loaning to non-members
• An APeX member in good standing may allow a non-member to check out books under their membership. The member will be responsible as though they themselves checked out the title.
All fees, surcharges, and replacement costs collected under this policy shall be used to restore and expand TLC.
The APeX BoD shall have the authority to remove fines or restore members to good standing with a majority vote due to special circumstances. These motions may be conditional.